Do you need flood insurance?

You have homeowners’ insurance, which is already a good thing. But how do you know if you also need flood insurance?

Nothing good comes from destructive natural disasters, especially if your homeowner’s insurance policy doesn’t cover the damages. Regardless of an impending catastrophe or not, your heart is more at peace knowing that your property and your belongings are safe. You’re off to a good start if you’ve already purchased home insurance. However, how do you know if you need more protection? Here are some things to consider before you decide if you need flood insurance as well. 

Flood insurance 

Most homeowners don’t bother with flood insurance. But for those who live in flood-prone areas, purchasing one apart from the homeowners’ insurance is a wise thing. Floods are one of the most common natural disasters in the U.S. Flood insurance is your safety net in case you experience damages from a devastating flood.


If you live in a low-risk area, do you still need flood insurance? Well, that is a personal preference. However, just because you don’t usually experience flooding doesn’t mean that you never will. Statistics show that between 2014 – 2018, homeowners in low-risk areas have reported over 40% of NFIP flood insurance claims, and about a third of the disaster assistance was issued. 

Do you need it?

Location is a primary factor in deciding whether you need a flood insurance policy or not. Homes in coastal and flood-prone areas should invest in flood insurance. Homes with mortgages from federally regulated lenders are required to get flood insurance.


There are two types of flood insurance, private flood insurance and the National Flood Insurance Program. 


The state government supports this insurance, and it’s for homeowners, renters, and business owners in specific communities who want to prevent as much financial loss as possible if a flood happens. Check out this link to see if your area is qualified for the NFIP. If your community qualifies, you can call their hotline to enroll in the flood insurance policy. 


Private Flood Insurance

Insurance companies also offer flood coverages. London Insurance Agency has professional insurance agents who can help you find out the best coverage for you, whether you’d want the NFIP, a standalone flood insurance coverage, or supplemental coverage. 


Homeowners’ insurance coverage is already good protection, but it doesn’t cover all the damages brought by other natural disasters such as floods. It’s better to make sure that you’re protecting your home from any damages and risks before they happen. In case of hurricanes, tropical storms, and long rainy days, you can be confident that your home and properties are protected and financially covered. 

If you’re unsure if your homeowners’ insurance covers flood damages, don’t hesitate to call one of our agents. Ask your questions and get answers here.